Friday, September 08, 2006

The Face of Missions


A bobline or long hair, long skirt, sandals, no earrings nor make-up and eyebrows that could use some maintenance. Let's be honest, wouldn't you somehow expect me to look at least somewhat like that?
You would be hesitant to spend time with me as we have nothing in common. I am so focused on God and are somewhat in my own world. I am very supportive of my husband's ministry while spending most my time in the kitchen and caring for my children and home schooling them. How could I possibly think that people could live in a wealthy first world country while in my surroundings people die daily due to hunger and sickness.
Really, isn't that the image we have of long term missionaries?

The skirts are a rarity to me, you will find me in linnen pants or jeans most the time. I use make-up as I do deodorant... all the time...
Even as missionaries we have pre conceived ideas about eachothers and our own looks. Causing me to get some interesting looks at times. Travis and I share our work, making me just as much director of operations as him. The care of our children we share also. Now our looks are not that of the "typical" missionary either. Travis has alternative facial hair and side burns, and oh goodness, he even has a tongue piercing! As for me; my hair is short in the back and long in the front. In my ears are four wholes instead of two. I even have a nose piercing with a tiny diamant in it. Now that is not such a typical missionary look, I know.
During our prep time to come to Rwanda I have been approached a number of times by people saying I should start stocking up on skirts. I should definately leave my make-up behind and that I better take some earrings and my nose studd out.

Here I am, living and working in Rwanda among the poorest of the poor. I visit members of parliament in their offices and hang out with the minister of defense of Rwanda. Some of my friends are diplomats, but my best buddies live in the orphanage.
Yet after living here for more than a year, no one has ever asked me why my hear is different or why I have a nose piercing. But you know, the are some questions I get asked very regular though; You kiss dirty baby heads and don't freak out when little ones wet you with their pie as you hold them, why is that, how can you love the Rwandese like that?
Let's be honest, if your child would break a bone and you rush to the ER, would you refuse the help of the doctor in charge because he looks different than what you expected? You just spend your last dime and don't know where your dinner will come from, would you say "no" to the stranger that offers you a seat at his table and buy you a meal?
Really does it matter?

The face of missions is changing. The cliche's are slowely fading away.Those that I am surrounded by recieve Christ's love as I wrap my arms around them. The children love my bright painted toe nails and care less that Travis has a tongue piercing, for all they know it is a piece of candy!
All they see is love, care and hope. They see Jesus!

1 comment:

Kendra said...

I love that you guys are so different. You are unique and awesome, and your look may be "unusual" compared to the traditional missionary, but I think it makes you guys even greater missionaries! Looking at you guys kind of makes missions seem more cool and normal. Some people (a lot actually) have a bad idea of missions and think that missionaries are weird, dorky people, but you guys prove that it's cool to be in missions!
Keep up all your great work!
Luv ya lots!
Kenya