Tuesday, December 12, 2006

"Make me your child"

Poverty is al around us 24/7. It is a hard reality and not always easy to deal with properly. Wherever I stop my car people will surround the car asking for food or money. It is so sad, heartbreaking.
I go through times where I do my best to ignore the poor as much as possible, or am I just not wanting to feel compassion as compassion moves me to action? Hmmm...
Out in the streets and in the villages I can pick and chose whom I want to help. I can see a need and do my best to fill it or I can close the eyes of my heart and pretend the needy do not exsists. But what to do with a need as highlighted in the letter?
"Would you make me your child forever?"

We have been asked many things and have provided many ways to help, but this... Really what do we do? This poor young orphan boy has no roof over his head and lost the ability to continue school as there is no income due to the death of his mom.

Do we feel honored or insulted by such a request? Do we use wisdom by ignoring him or reach out and provide "I do not know what..." ?

I am reminded of scriptures; True religion that the Father wants is to take care of the widows and orphans... You will always have the poor among you... You are an hypocrit by saying to a poor man; God bless you and do not help him in his need...

This boy wants a mommy and daddy... My heart breaks... Where is the church, where are the mothers and fathers of the boy's community... Where is the remaining family the boy has... where, where, where...
Am I responsible for this boy? Will God hold me accountable for what I decide to do or not do concerning his situation?

You see, poverty is all around, making living in Africa confronting and difficult. I used to be "free" from the peoples cries for help inside my home. But here is this letter in my home with a burning question; "Will you make me your child..." What a desperate cry, what a responsibility... what will I do...
What would you do?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I only can hope and pray that the childrens village will be soon realize in Kibuya and that there will be a lot of Mothers to take care!

Fencemender said...

(tears) Is this the face of God calling you to respond? You ARE responding already in a general way, but what can be done for this one? Who has a place for this one? Lord, can you open a door and provide a home and provision for this one?

Anonymous said...

I understand the boy's pain and your dilemma.Rwandese families have lost the culture of taking in orphans because of excessive porverty,thou' some people have no one left.I hope and pray that God speeds up your children's village and raises other similar works in this nation.Personally I have taken in such children over the years and really know the joy of loving ,inspite of the pain and struggle involved.May the Almighty make a way for that child.I love you and pray for your great family and all God is using you to do for the world.
Schola.